Let me begin by thanking Cheryl Reif for naming The Artist’s Road her Blog of the Week! Cheryl’s been featured here in Creativity Tweets of the week on more than one occasion–including today–so the admiration is mutual. Now on to a select list of links on creativity and writing I tweeted this week.
- “Ten Obstacles to Creativity–And How to Overcome Them,” Cheryl Reif, Cheryl Reif Writes: Be forewarned; Cheryl has links to enough books to occupy you for weeks; make sure you come up for air and actually create.
- “4 Steps to Create Boundaries for Your Creative Work,” Marianne Mullen, Awaken Creativity: A fave creativity guru of mine, I had the good fortune of meeting Marianne and her husband in person for the first time after my MFA residency in Montpelier, Vermont, last month. Ah, the power of Twitter as a connector.
- “Why Are You Really Procrastinating?” Joe Bunting, The Write Practice: In a word? Fear. Speaking of Twitter connections, I hope to meet Joe in person while we’re both at the AWP Conference in Chicago next week.
- “Web Extra: A Field Guide to AWP,” Courtney Maum, Tin House: An amusing list of types of writer stereotypes. I’m writing a travel memoir, so as a memoir writer I must be a fleece-wearing woman bearing snacks.
- “How Long-Form Journalism is Finding its Digital Audience,” Louis DVorkin, Forbes: As both a fan and occasional practitioner of long-form journalism (my quasi-journalistic post on my recent White House visit ran nearly 3,000 words), this column pleased me greatly.
- “What is the Recipe for a Great Blog Post?” Ann Tran: I invite you to sign up for my class at The Writer’s Center titled “Writing Compelling Blog Posts” to learn my thoughts, or click this link and learn from ten other bloggers. I forgive you in advance for taking the easy route.
- “Writing on the Ether,” Porter Anderson, Jane Friedman: I thought I’d wrap up with a link to one of the most comprehensive round-ups you’ll find on the Web, a regular feature compiled by one social media star (Porter) for another (Jane). I’ll be looking for Porter at AWP as well; I’m such a rebel, engaging with people in person.
A preview of coming attractions: On Tuesday, February 28th, I’ll be showcasing a guest post from an accomplished author with great writing tips. Later in the week, watch this space for “AWP Nuggets,” as I post short takes on the highlights of the Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference in Chicago. If you’re attending, let me know!