I am an instructor in creative nonfiction with an MFA in Writing from the Vermont College of Fine Arts. I teach creative writing online through The Loft Literary Center as well as in person at The Writer’s Center in Bethesda, Maryland. You can find my curriculum vitae here.
I’ve been a communications and arts instructor for more than a decade, leading workshops and seminars on topics as varied as sparking your creativity; public speaking; how to be interviewed by print and electronic media; how to write online; and knowing your rights as an artist.
My teaching style is interactive; I believe learning occurs best when an instructor engages with the students, and students engage with each other.
I have in the past provided one-on-one instruction in creative writing, although I am not currently taking on new students. UPDATE MARCH 2014: I am currently taking on a limited number of consulting clients; I am limiting myself to individuals, group blogs and small businesses and nonprofits; no corporate clients. Please contact me if you’d like to learn more.
STUDENT EVALUATIONS OF PATRICK’S COURSE ON BLOGGING:
- “The instructor was incredible. And the wealth of information made me so happy.”
- “Becoming a Standout Blogger was exactly what I was hoping for: a realistic and professional approach to authoring a blog. Patrick was highly qualified to teach this through his extensive experience both as a writer/journalist and blogger. The interaction with other students made my first online class experience extremely positive. I felt like Patrick’s replies to forum posts and blog drafts were right on and objective. Very helpful.”
- “Patrick was wonderful. He created a strong, but flexible structure for the class. He was also very knowledgeable. I am no longer terrified of blogging.”
- “Patrick quickly facilitated the building of our class into an online community, so that our communications with each other felt comfortable and supportive.”
- “I loved the class. Patrick had great tips — clear, organized, and well-written.”
- “The instructor was very knowledgeable and gave great feedback. His comments to all of the students were positive and helpful. His suggestions for improvement were tactful, clear, and right on the money.”
- “I had a great experience, especially with the discussion of my piece, and the discussions of other pieces.”
- “Patrick was enthusiastic, engaging, and let everyone participate at their own pace — he was awesome!”